MIDI, Blind Ditch and Exeter Phoenix are looking for volunteers to help out as stewards and piano buddies for our musical live art commissions and pop-up pianos, happening at street sites across Exeter during Art Week Exeter from 13-21st May 2017.
Volunteering is a great way to make new friends, find out more about art, and meet and talk with artists and art fans. There will be an induction session in the week leading up to AWE to orientate volunteers to the project and their responsibilities, and we will all celebrate with a cocktail at the end of the week!
Piano Buddies will be working with MIDI directors and steering group members to take care of three street pianos in Exeter city centre – outside Exeter Central Library, The Boatshed (Exeter Quay), and the Guildhall Shopping Centre. Piano buddies need to be physically fit enough to push and steer pianos on wheels, and lift heavy sheets of tarpaulin. If you’re a physically fit pianist, it’s also a great opportunity for a bit of public playing during your shift!
- Good with members of the public and willing to communicate with curious passers-by about the project;
- Confident in communicating with performers and helping them to prepare for their performances;
- Musical appreciation in the broadest sense;
- Physically fit enough to push and steer pianos on wheels, and lift heavy sheets of tarpaulin.
- Helping to move pianos into position at the beginning of the day, and back into the designated storage area at the end of each day (please note all three pianos will be on wheels and moved by at least two people. Pianos will not have to be moved more than a few metres, to and from storage areas).
- Covering and uncovering pianos with heavy duty weather-proof tarpaulin in the event of wet weather. Training will be provided.
- Managing performer and public health and safety by ensuring risk assessment procedures are followed and engagement proceeds as planned.
- Gathering project evaluation by handing out and collecting feedback postcards.
- Engaging with social media – posting and discussing according to protocols set up with artists, Blind Ditch, AWE and MIDI.
1 hour volunteer induction at a mutually agreed time during the week of 8th May
Monday 15th May: 9.30am – 1.30pm x 2 volunteers
Monday 15th May: 1.30am – 5.30pm x 2 volunteers
Tuesday 16th May: 9.30am – 1.30pm x 2 volunteers
Tuesday 16th May: 1.30am – 5.30pm x 2 volunteers
Wednesday 17th May: 9.30am – 1.30pm x 2 volunteers
Wednesday 17th May: 1.30am – 5.30pm x 2 volunteers
Sunday 21st May: 9.30am – 1.00pm x 2 volunteers
Sunday 21st May: 1.00pm – 4.30pm x 2 volunteers
To register your interest and get involved, please email email@example.com
Exeter Pop-Up Pianos is produced as part of the Street LAB project for Art Week Exeter, in association with Blind Ditch, MIDI, and Exeter Phoenix, and is funded by Arts Council England and Exeter City Council.